Lead Poisoning

Lead is a poisonous metal that can harm you. New York City’s South Asian community is especially at risk for lead poisoning. While lead paint causes most cases of lead poisoning in children, other things can also contain lead, including certain South Asian cosmetics, religious powders,spices, health remedies and amulets. Often, you cannot tell whether these products contain lead because lead may not be listed on the product packaging.

Lead is dangerous and can cause:

  • Learning and behavior problems in children
  • Increased blood pressure and kidney and neurological problems in adults
  • Increased risk of miscarriage during pregnancy
  • Infertility and impotence

Lead can enter your body when you:

  •  Eat, swallow or mouth a lead-containing product, such as spices, health remedies and amulets
  • Put your hands in your mouth after touching products that contain lead (e.g., cosmetics and religious powders) or surfaces covered in lead dust (e.g.,windowsills and floors)
  • Breathe in lead dust or fumes during renovations, repairs and demolitions that disturb lead-based paint